Graphic designers combine art and technology to communicate ideas through images and
the layout of websites and printed pages. They may use a variety of design elements
to achieve artistic or decorative effects.
Graphic designers work with both text and images. They often select the type, font, size, color, and line length of headlines, headings, and text. Graphic designers also decide how images and text will go together on a print or webpage, including how much space each will have. When using text in layouts, graphic designers collaborate closely with writers who choose the words and decide whether the words will be put into paragraphs, lists, or tables. Through the use of images, text, and color, graphic designers can transform statistical data into visual graphics and diagrams, which can make complex ideas more accessible.
How it works
- Meet with clients or the art director to determine the scope of a project.
- Advise clients on strategies to reach a particular audience.
- Determine the message the design should portray.
- Develop graphics for product illustrations, logos, and websites.
- Incorporate changes recommended by the clients into the final design.